[Nut-upsuser] Bogus "UPS not available" messages

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed May 23 23:21:42 UTC 2007

On 5/23/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond wrote:
[...]
> > Why not?  Seems natural to me to want to know the timestamp on the
> > data sample I'm seeing.
[...]
> Regarding the timestamp, when data is stale it is unimportant how stale
> it is, it should not be used anymore. Most of the relevant data is very
> volatile (battery charge, mains state) and after expiration becomes
> useless and should not be relied upon anymore.

There's a slim possibility that the timestamp could be useful in the
upsc output, especially with drivers that have to cope with buggy
hardware that does not always respond in the same time interval.

However, it's another one of those "where do we stop" cases. If I
recall correctly, the newhidups/usbhid-ups driver receives some events
asynchronously, so some events reported in the output of upsc are
older than others.

--
- Charles Lepple