[Nut-upsuser] [Nut-upsdev] USB support for Sweex 1000 VA UPS (was: Help with

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri May 25 03:06:41 UTC 2007

Alexander I. Gordeev wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 01:18:26AM -0300, Peter Selinger wrote:
> > I'll defer to Alexander Gordeev; he has worked extensively on the
> > megatec_usb driver, which is solving a somewhat similar problem,
> > although the protocol is different.
> >
> > The UPS shutdown 30 seconds after the "low battery" event might have
> > been initiated by software. Or does the UPS also shut down at that
> > time when it's not being monitored?
> >
> > -- Peter
> >

> Well, I used usbsnoop to capture the USB traffic but I never needed to
> decode UPS protocol itself. Doubt I can be of much help here.

What I had in mind was not the protocol part, but rather all the
surrounding stuff that needs to go into a special-purpose USB driver:
USB recognition, possible -x options, error handling, Makefile magic,
etc. Since you did all of that recently, you probably have a fresh
memory of all that needs to be done. I haven't had time to read
Eric's patch, but once it is working (on his hardware), implements a
reasonable set of features (power monitoring and shutdown), and is
reasonably NUT compliant, it should certainly be included in SVN.

Before we make a release, you (for the megatec_usb driver) should also
think about whether to mark the driver as "experimental" (see
docs/new-drivers.txt:95). If you feel it is stable enough, it doesn't
need to be marked experimental. However, once it's in a release, there
will be a certain expectation that it works, and marking it
experimental for a while is a way to remind users that they are using
it at their own risk.

The same goes for the Sweex driver when it's included.

-- Peter