[Nut-upsuser] Problems starting upsd

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon May 28 12:58:21 UTC 2007

> Here's what's happening when i try to start the ups daemon:
>
> [root at corporate log]# [root at corporate all]# service ups start
> Starting megatec: Network UPS Tools - Megatec protocol driver 1.5 (2.0.5)
> Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2006
>
> Megatec protocol UPS detected [ Pro 1400 4.01p].
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.5
> Can't connect to UPS [upguards] (upguards): No such file or directory
>                                                            [  OK  ]

The startup script is probably not using 'upsdrvctl' to start the driver,
but starts the driver directly. This is wrong. Talk to whoever wrote this
script, we didn't.

> Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.5
> UPS: upguards at localhost (master) (power value 1)
> Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
>
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> [root at corporate all]#
> Broadcast message from nut (Mon May 28 12:41:24 2007):
>
> Communications with UPS upguards at localhost lost
>
> Broadcast message from nut (Mon May 28 12:41:29 2007):
>
> UPS upguards at localhost is unavailable

Sure, the socket the driver uses has a different name than the server
expects.

> The ups.conf file contains only these lines:
>
> [upguards]
>     driver = megatec
>     port = /dev/ttyS1
>     desc = "UPguardS Pro 1400"

Your 'ups.conf' file is fine.

> The funny thing is that when the power to the server was not supplied by
> the ups all worked fine but when i go through the ups the daemon fails.

This is not related.

> I've checked permissions, and i have the user nut that is in the group
> uucp and that group can read and write to ttyS1
>
> I cannot seem to find who is causing the No such file or directory error
> message when the daemon starts up.
>
> Another weird thing is if i start the driver manually and then the daemon
> all is fine and working !

This is indicative for problems in the startup script.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands