[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPSes

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:20:46 UTC 2007

2007/5/29, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com>:
> Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> > >System log has many entries that say:
> > >
> > >May 24 12:18:37 snark kernel: [136718.407859] usb 3-2: usbfs: process
> > >26061 (megatec_usb) did not claim interface 0 before use
> > >
> > >How do I troubleshoot this?
> >
> > not a big trouble, but we are still having sometime such msg.
> > this claiming lies in drivers/libusb.c->libusb_open()
> > Is it easily reproducible?
>
> Yes.  I've since learned that it's caused by a permissions problem when
> opening the device.  To reproduce, leave the --with-user option off your
> configure line.

if it's only using the nobody user, and not using the udev script to
set nobody ownership on the device file, then it's not a bug.

> > this is the whole point: you don't have to configure anything, and the
> > driver (aka hal addon) is loaded automagically when the device
> > plugged. Then the guys (like gnome-power-mgr) is also poping auto ...
> > I've had an intern last year to work on configuration things that
> > would have been useful, but I'll now leave the "autoconfig upon USB
> > device detection" down. HAL is the clear path and is supported by all
> > the NUT USB supported platform (linux, *bsd, solaris)
> >
> > I know you're seeking for usability and easiness, so you might be
> > interested in giving a try!
>
> I am not certain I understood this explanation correctly.  Is hald, then,
> going to replace the top two levels (upsd and upsmon) of the present
> nut architecture?

exactly, or about. hald will only replace upsd (data servicing)
gnome-power-manager (or alike) take over the upsmon role. Though I
don't like that.
I would rather prefer a generic daemonized "upsmon" role, leaving only
the GUI (notification / configuration) to g-p-m and alike...

Arnaud