[Nut-upsuser] UPS shutdown - always the thing to do?

Whit Blauvelt whit+nut at transpect.com
Tue Nov 20 02:06:56 UTC 2007

Mark,

Thanks. That helps clarify my question. Okay, so Nut picks up the signal
from the UPS that it's time to shut down the PC. The PC does its shutdown,
and then from the Nut install doc "You should configure your system to power
down the UPS after the filesystems are remounted read-only." What you're
suggesting is that the "shutdown" command to the UPS is really not telling
the UPS to power down itself, but to power down the PC?

Because I was taking that literally as telling the UPS to power itself down.
That's why I was asking if the UPS by default would power itself back up.
Because I don't recall that just plugging it in is enough to turn it on -
there's that button on it that needs pressing. But if the "shutdown" command
to the UPS really means "cut power to the PC, but stay on yourself on the
rest of your residual power (or come back on when wall power comes back)" -
well that's a very different scenario.

My PC bios has the option enabled to turn on on power restoration, no matter
what the state was when power was turned off. Even so, if they shut
themselves down, but then don't see the power cycled from the UPS end, that
would be a problem. So does that "/usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl shutdown"
command really tell the UPS "power down the output, but only until power's
back at the wall, then repower"? That is, it's not just telling the UPS to
turn itself off, awaiting a human finger go to on again?

Best,
Whit