[Nut-upsuser] NUT auto-discovery [Was: Re: Nut problems with Centos and Belkin UPS]

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Tue Nov 27 16:19:40 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 3:59 PM, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
> When you have only one UPS in your network, this might work. Otherwise,
> one UPS going offline might cause all clients to shutdown. This is
> probably not very desireable.

What I had in mind was more of a centrally managed configuration, than
no configuration. For example, extending ACLs to include the name(s)
of the UPS powering the specified system (or subnet), plus a
repository of default configurations for upsmon. The clients would
only specify the address of the server, nothing more, and then all
future configuration changes could be done on the server, without
client intervention. Clients would have the possibility of modifying
their own configuration, but that would be the exception, not the
norm.

Like I said, I kind of changed my mind about this because (although
this would have benefits for large installations), the work required
would possibly be overkill, but anyway...

--
Carlos Rodrigues