[Nut-upsuser] Working UPS report: Geek Squad GS-700U (Cyberpower clone?)

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Oct 10 07:20:46 UTC 2007

> I'm using nut 2.2.0 on a Pepper Pad 2 - which is a UMPC type device
> based off of an Intel XScale CPU with a modified version of  MontaVista
> Linux Pro 3.1. (Linux kernel 2.6.13.4, gcc 3.4, *no* udev).

If you don't have udev/hotplug available, there will be no way to change
the ownership of the device to the compiled in NUT user. You need to run
the usbhid-ups driver as 'root' (and consequently, the upsd server too) by
adding '-u root' to the startup command line. Changing the permissions of
the USB device by hand may appear to work initially, but will break as
soon as the driver needs to reconnect (which may never happen, or as often
as every half hour or even more frequently).

[...]

> The serial-USB thing is identified as 0764:0005 on the USB bus, which is
> supposed to be identified by usbhid-ups.  However, when trying to use it
> I got USBDEVFS control errors in the system logs, the same as this
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/monitoring.nut.user/2006-07/msg00061.html

This is almost certainly a permissions problem. We have reports from
people that have UPS'es with this VID:PID working with the usbhid-ups
driver, so the driver should work. It is indeed a rebranded CyberPower
unit.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands