[Nut-upsuser] Working UPS report: Geek Squad GS-700U (Cyberpower clone?)

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Oct 10 19:03:19 UTC 2007

Charles Lepple wrote:

>> The above two lines should also be displayed by usbhid-ups in the
>> 'Manufacturer' and 'Product' strings upon startup with the -DD option. As
>> long as that's not happening, it can't attach to the port because of a
>> permissions problem and/or another driver being attached to it. There is
>> nothing we can do to fix that if your kernel doesn't allow detaching
>> drivers.
>>
>>> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 20mA
>>> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
>>> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms
>>> E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=10ms
>
> Arjen,
>
> While I agree that usbhid-ups should have printed the strings, the
> /proc/bus/usb/devices line says "Driver=(none)".

Yes, and that's weird. We *have* reports that the same VID:PID
combination is working with usbhid-ups. Apparently no driver has claimed
this device, yet it doesn't answer at all (all control messages we send
to it, time out). This doesn't look like a usbhid-ups problem, but
rather the USB (or libusb) implementation on this particular platform.

Best regards, Arjen