[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse USB cable config ?

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri Oct 12 21:11:56 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

This is not directly NUT related, but i don't know where else I can
still ask this.
I have been using a pretty decent 2nd hand MGE ellipse premium 1200VA
for a while now at home. http://www.mgeups.com/download/doc_intl/
small/premium/389uk.pdf
It's been working very well for me on linux, but my linux server has
recently passed away and now I only have Macs left. Therefore i wanna
use this UPS for my mac trough USB. According to the online
documentation this UPS has a "new communications port on the Pulsar
ellipse models incorporates USB and Serial modes". However since this
thing is 2nd hand from a now defunct internet company, apparently the
USB cable was lost before I bought it.

I have been scouring the Internet for several days now, but I can't
even find where to buy an official cable (and i suspect it's probably
expensive) and I cannot for the life of me find a schematic or
something that describes what kind of cable this is exactly so that i
can acquire one locally or build my own cable.

So the questions are:
1: is the USB cable simply like the RS232 cable but with built-in USB
converter ?
2: or is the com-port some sort of "autodetecting" system that can
work in both a USB and a RS232 config ? In that case, would anyone
know the USB pin layout of the socket on this thing ?
3: has anyone else used this or a similar MGE system on the mac?
4: Does anyone know a cheap address for one of these USB cables in
the Netherlands, or at least Europe?

greetings, DJ