[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse USB cable config ?

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Sat Oct 13 20:34:16 UTC 2007

On 13-okt-2007, at 21:07, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:

<cut the story>

>> So the questions are:
>> 1: is the USB cable simply like the RS232 cable but with built-in USB
>> converter ?
>
> No, it's just a cable.
>
>> 2: or is the com-port some sort of "autodetecting" system that can
>> work in both a USB and a RS232 config ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> In that case, would anyone  know the USB pin layout of the socket
>> on this thing ?
>
> I don't know.
>
>> 3: has anyone else used this or a similar MGE system on the mac?
>> 4: Does anyone know a cheap address for one of these USB cables in
>> the Netherlands, or at least Europe?
>
> Why don't you use a USB-to-serial adapter? For around €15 you
> should be
> able to pick one up at your favorite hardware store and use the serial
> cable you already have.

Well mostly because I have heard varying results on that from Apple
Mac users with APC models. I'm not really sure how well this solution
works. And then there is the fact that I would simply like to know of
course :D

Thank you for taking the time to reply Arjen ! I appreciate it. I
hope someone else has an answer to my last question (pinout).

DJ