[Nut-upsuser] Can't get 'load.off' to turn off power to the PC: CyberPower 1200AVR

Mark Hansen meh at Winfirst.Com
Sun Sep 16 22:20:47 UTC 2007

I'm running Network UPS Tools 2.2.0 on a Linux machine, running
CentOS 4.5 (RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.5), with a kernel version
2.6.9.

I believe I have the software setup and configured properly. I
can access the UPS via the upsc (client) tool, upscmd, upsmon,
etc. Even the CGI pages provide me with the ups status, etc.

However, when I try to shut off the load using the load.off
instant command, the power is now switched off:

   upscmd myupsname load.off

I am prompted for a user name and password, which I provide.
I know the user name and password are okay, because when I
provide a bad one, it tells me.

Note that after I send the above command, I get the following
entry in the system log file (/var/log/messages):

...date... upsd[3343]: Instand command: user at 127.0.0.1 did load.off on myupsname

I have a lamp plugged in to the UPS (in the correct outlet) and it
never goes off. I've tried with power applied to the UPS and when
it's power was pulled from the wall - no difference.

I think load.off should be supported by my UPS, because when I
run upscmd -l on the ups, it is listed:

> Instant commands supported on UPS [myupsname]:
>
> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> load.on - Turn on the load immediately
> shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
> beeper.on - Enable the UPS beeper
> beeper.off - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,