[Nut-upsuser] UPS shows 120%

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Sep 22 18:23:43 UTC 2007

Phil Scarr wrote:

>>> I have a new CPS UPS connected via USB.  Everything is working fine,
>>> except the UPS is showing a value of 120% charged.
>> This probably means that the HID path 'UPS.PowerSummary.RemainingCapacity'
>> has a very different meaning for CyberPower devices, than it has for APC
>> where it indicates the battery charge. It also means, that we might have
>> to make a separate subdriver to deal with this (I was already afraid of
>> that from looking at the very different HID paths it uses).

In retrospect, the value may be actually correct. This parameter tells
you the actual amount of charge the battery can hold in relation to the
design capacity. If this is indeed a new (battery) system, the first can
be *higher* than the latter, depending on the rate of discharge that was
used in measuring the actual capacity.

[...]

This here is actually the only surprise I see. This looks way too high
for a 12V battery and too low for a 24V battery (it could be a 3 x 6V
battery system, but I have never seen such a configuration). Can you
measure the battery voltage?

I still believe it would be better to create a separate subdriver for
CyberPower, if only for the reason that it is easier to maintain if each
VendorID has it's own subdriver.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  Please keep the mailinglist posted.