[Nut-upsuser] NUT on Mac OSX 10.5

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Aug 19 07:28:17 UTC 2008

> iMac:~ mihailartuhov$ sudo upsmon
> Password:
> Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.2.2
> UPS: CS_650 at localhost (master) (power value 1)
> Using power down flag file /etc/killpower
>

> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 9:53 JST...
>
> Communications with UPS CS_650 at localhost lost
>

> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 9:53 JST...
>
> UPS CS_650 at localhost is unavailable
>

> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 9:58 JST...
>
> UPS CS_650 at localhost is unavailable
>

> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 10:03 JST...
>
> UPS CS_650 at localhost is unavailable

The above probably means that the USB connection to the UPS was lost at
some time and couldn't be established again. First check if there is still
a 'usbhid-ups' process running (it probably is). If it is, kill it and
restart it (in a console window) again using

    sudo /sw/lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DDD -u root -a CS_650

This will run the driver in the foreground and print debugging output. If
all is well, the 'upsd' server and 'upsmon' client should now see the UPS
again. You may want to log everything to a file, in case we might request
it.

If the above is still running after (say) half an hour, terminate it by
pressing ctrl-C (might be needed to repeat this a couple of times) and
start the driver again, but now without the '-u root' in the startup
command line. Chances are that it will now fail to reconnect after a
while, indicating that the problem may be in the setup for hotplug/udev
(or whatever it is called in OS-X).

Best regards, Arjen