[Nut-upsuser] NUT on Mac OSX 10.5

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Aug 19 09:55:44 UTC 2008

> Now :
> input.voltage is changing (Ok!):
>
> input.voltage: 214.0

Although this looks a little low for a 230V (nominal) system, this is what
the device reports, so there is little we can do about it.

> and power unplug and replug:
>
> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 18:17 JST...
>
> UPS CS_650 at localhost on battery
>

> Broadcast Message from mihailartuhov at iMac.local
>          (no tty) at 18:17 JST...
>
> UPS CS_650 at localhost on line power
>
> Ok!

Looking fine indeed. I assume this is with the first commandline (with the
'-u root' in it), right? In that case, you could also try how it works if
you leave this part out.

> And what should I do in finalizing?
> How do I configure the system?

I suspect the cause of the connection problems, is a permissions problem.
By default, the driver will drop privileges soon after startup. In order
to be able to (re)connect to USB devices, this usually requires setting up
hotplug (old) or udev (new) rules on Linux systems. If the driver works
with '-u root' and doesn't work without, chances are that on OS-X neither
of these two methods work. In that case, you can add '-u root' to the
'upsdrvctl' commandline or fix whatever it takes on OS-X to allow non-root
users to attach themselves to USB devices. I can't help with the latter,
since I'm not (and have no intention to become) familiar with the OS-X
platform.

Best regards, Arjen