[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 04:41:27 UTC 2008

Leslie,

This message is most appropriate for the NUT user list.  I kept Rik
Faith's and Nicholas Kain's copyright information because the
tripplite_usb driver borrows heavily from the tripplite (serial)
driver, but they are not responsible for the mess that I made in the
USB driver.

See below.

On Dec 28, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Lelsie Rhorer wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
>             I am running a Tripp Lite OMNISV1500XL

Support for the 1500XL is a fluke - I did not have that unit
available for testing.

> under NUT using the tripplite_usb driver on a Debian "Lenny" Linux
> system.  The platform is an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 processor running
> kernel 2.6.26.  The driver is up and running, but there are several
> issues.

One important version missing from this list is the NUT package
version (including any Debian-specific version extensions).

>             First, the system drops communications with the UPS
> regularly - typically 2 or three times an hour.

Temporarily or permanently? Usually, the driver reconnects fairly
quickly.

>   I've worked around this by running a script which checks every
> few seconds to make sure the UPS driver is on-line, and if not
> restarts NUT.  I do not observe this behavior when I boot Windows
> XP Pro 64 on the system.

Since we don't currently ship NUT for Windows XP, and because Tripp-
Lite does not (to my knowledge) publish source code for their USB-
based monitoring software, there is naturally going to be a gap
between what NUT shows, and what you see in XP.

>             Secondly, the reported voltages are all incorrect.  I
> measured them with an accurate voltmeter, and the Input Voltage is
> typically around 120V, the Output Voltage is 122V, and the Battery
> Voltage at full charge is 26V.  Running under Windows, the system
> confirms these values.  Under the Linux driver, however, the system
> is reporting an Input Voltage of around 113V, an Output Voltage of
> 114V, and a fully charged Battery Voltage of 14.6V.

What does 'upsc' return?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail