[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS ES-750

George Sherwood pilot at beernabeer.com
Wed Dec 31 03:15:05 UTC 2008

At one time I had my Back-UPS ES-750 working with nut and the
usbhid-ups driver.  Not sure what has changed, but I can't get the
driver to load now.  It exits with this error:

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

lsusb -v gives me:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion
Uninterruptible Power Supply Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x051d American Power Conversion
  idProduct          0x0002 Uninterruptible Power Supply
  bcdDevice            1.01
  iManufacturer           3 American Power Conversion
  iProduct                1 Back-UPS ES 750 FW:841.I2 .D USB FW:I2
  iSerial                 2 3B0818X25435
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.10
          bCountryCode           33 US
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength    1112
Check that you have permissions to write to 003/002 and, if you don't,
that you set up hotplug (http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/)
correctly. USB error: could not claim interface 0: Device or resource
busy Report Descriptors: ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0006  1x 6 bytes
        bInterval             100
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

usbhid-ups -a backups -u ups -DDDD gives me:

Checking device (051D/0002) (003/002)
USB error: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
USB error: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
USB error: error sending control message: Operation not permitted
- VendorID: 051d
- ProductID: 0002
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device does not match - skipping

The permissions on that node are;

crw-rw-r-- 1 root ups  189, 257 2008-12-30 20:54 002

I am really stuck on this, thanks for any help.

George

--
George Sherwood
Source Mage GNU/Linux Lead Developer