[Nut-upsuser] Solaris/NUT 'wall' behaviour

Huge huge at huge.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 16:08:21 UTC 2008

I have compiled and installed NUT-2.2.1 on Solaris 10 on my Sunblade
2000 and it seems to work very well, except that the behaviour of
'wall', which upsmon uses to report significant events, may differ on
Solaris from other systems. On Sol10, wall writes the message *only* on
the console, unless the "-a" switch is used. On a standard JDS (GNOME)
system, there isn't normally a console window, so I never see the
messages.

Is this the same behaviour as elsewhere? The Linux man pages imply
otherwise.

Anyway, I've modified upsmon to call "wall -a" instead of "wall" and it
now does what I want.

Is it worth making this a configuration option or putting it in the
documentation somewhere? Indeed, would anyone be interested in my notes?
I don't know how many Sun SPARC users of NUT there are...

Regards,

Huge.