[Nut-upsuser] Power failure and NUT not shutting down

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Jul 1 15:13:53 UTC 2008

All,

    Recently my area got slammed by very bad storms (something among the
lines of 120 MPH winds and lots of hail) which knocked out a quarter of
the power in my city. When I arrived back to my home office, I naturally
found everything powered off and silent, but what I did notice is my UPS
still had full battery. While booting the systems back up after power
was restored, I didn't see any "The system was uncleanly shutdown" type
of messages on any system save for my proxy (which doesn't have NUT
communication). The thing I had done this morning was go over
information I pulled out of the logs, and I found this:
Jun 27 17:02:47 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:47 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:49 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:49 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:51 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:51 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:53 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:53 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:55 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:55 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:57 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:02:57 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:02:58 s_dgram at host.network.com powerpanel[14888]:
Communications with UPS lost: Status read failed!
Jun 27 17:03:00 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:00 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:03:02 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:02 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:03:04 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:04 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:03:06 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:06 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:03:08 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:08 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 27 17:03:10 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Connection from
1.2.3.4
Jun 27 17:03:10 s_dgram at host.network.com upsd[14891]: Host 1.2.3.4
disconnected (read failure)
Jun 28 08:31:00 s_dgram at host.network.com upsmon[2327]: Startup successful

Ok, We can see a serious issue there... My UPS shut down everything, due
to failures with the drivers. This has occurred for me since I put the
'fixed' powerpanel driver patch in place. I run the RPM and have no
problem like what is shown above, just not able to talk to the UPS and
get the right value. Half the time with this I get errors of 'stale
data' with NUT now as well.

This has been one heck of a bad way to test the UPS, I know that, but
right now I don't have much of a choice on this. What I need to know is
if the newest stable version of NUT has the patched powerpanel driver in
it, and if yes, I will test that. Lucky for me my systems look like they
recovered from the sudden power outage pretty well, but neither NUT nor
the UPS did what I had desired them to do. Aside from labeling the UPS
"doesn't play well with others" does anyone have other idea's besides
just testing, and re-installing NUT?

--
Seann Clark
Tsukinokage.net