[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse Max 1100 configuration question

Chris Cohen kildau-ml at gmx.de
Tue Jun 3 08:20:03 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 09:59:25 you wrote:
> > I removed all servers and workstation from the output of the ups.
>
> Servers, workstations? You have multiple devices connected to this
> system? See my previous message, your UPS doesn't have the capacity
> to power more than a small server or maybe two workstations (if
> you're lucky).
>
> > I then connected my periphery (monitor, printer, soundsystem...) to
> > the battery backed-up output of the ups to have some load.
>
> You should *never* connect a printer to the battery backed up output
> of a UPS. Especially laser printers draw huge amounts of power while
> powering up. A small SOHO type UPS is not able to cope with that.

As I said, I jsut did that during the test to have something
connected... (no laser printer)

> > (maybe its only
> > 3%, but I it showed the same behaviour as with the servers
> > attached)
>
> I think 3% is the value that would be indicated when the load is
> essentially shutdown. Note that 3% is a load of only 33VA.

Strange, because there was at least a 22" samsung tft and a Logitech
Soundsystem attached.

> > After running the command, the ups went off. There was a "klick"
> > :-) My monitor went off. My Soundsystem went off. I then had to
> > press the ups' power button to turn it back on. The ups has a load
> > of about 55% when everything is running under heavy load.
                   ^^^^^ TYPO: 25% im sorry!

> That is too much. Assuming a reasonable power factor which you can
> expect nowadays, the real load will be close to
>
> 	55% x 1100VA = 605W
>
> As written before, the maximum load on your UPS is just 660W. At
> startup, this will more than likely be more than 660W (harddrives
> spinning up), so I think you'll need to lower the load on your
> system.
But why did the same thing happen with nothing but a monitor and a
soundsystem connected?

> I don't know why the system shuts down when you fire up the
> driver, but it could be that the UPS uses slightly different
> thresholds depending whether it is running in managed or unmanaged
> mode. Unless you run the driver with the '-k' option, it will not
> send the UPS a command to shutdown the load.

Well... maybe you don't mean the same with server than I do.
This is not one of these Sun/HP whatever super servers.
Its a home lan. The server has a BE-2350 CPU with two harddisks.
So, I really, really, really don't think the UPS is overloaded. A friend
of mine measured the power consomption of the "server" and it was never
more than 80W. Plus a Monitor connected to the non-battery port. Plus
an Intel Core2Duo System with a midrange graphics card.

Maybe the ups is dameged?
But why does it then work with mges crappy psp?

--
Thanks you
Chris