[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS RT 5000

Noel David Torres Taño noel.torres at uv.es
Wed Jun 18 22:04:01 UTC 2008

El Wednesday 18 June 2008 22:30:34 Charles Lepple escribió:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Noel David Torres Taño
>
> <noel.torres at uv.es> wrote:
> > I've a brand-new APC box, model Smart-UPS RT 5000, which comes with a
> > black cable RJ48 in one side (10P4C) and RS232-DB9 in the other. The
> > cable reads "940-1525A" in the DB9 side.
> >
> > Which is the best setting (driver and options) to connect this UPS to my
> > computer? It seems not to be recognized by a typical apcsmart driver
> > setting.
>
> Please send more info:
>
> * what version of NUT?
> * what OS and distribution?
> * what configuration settings did you try?
> * what was the error message?

nut 2.2.2
Linux -> openSuSE 10.3

configurations tested:

conf 1

 [maria]
       driver = apcsmart
         port = /dev/ttyS0

# upsdrvctl start maria
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools (version 2.2.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
        Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
Check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

conf 2

 [maria]
       driver = apcsmart
         port = /dev/ttyS0
        cable = 940-1252A

same answer

conf 3

 [maria]
       driver = apcsmart
         port = /dev/ttyS0
#        cable = 940-1252A
        cable = 940-0095B

same answer

...and YES, I'm sure the UPS is connected to that port:

# minicom
Welcome to minicom 2.2

Compiled on Sep 21 2007, 20:31:22.
Port /dev/ttyS0

               Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

User Name : apc
Password  : ***

American Power Conversion               Network Management Card AOS
v3.5.5
(c) Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved  Smart-UPS & Matrix-UPS APP
v3.5.5
Name      : Unknown                                   Date : 06/18/2008
Contact   : Unknown                                   Time : 23:03:01
Location  : Unknown                                   User : Administrator
Up Time   : 0 Days 2 Hours 30 Minutes                 Stat : P+ N+ A+

Environment : Thresholds Disabled, Contact Alarms Disabled, Relay OK
Smart-UPS RT 5000 XL : On Line

------- Control

     1- Device Manager
     2- Network
     3- System
     4- Logout

     <ESC>- Main Menu, <ENTER>- Refresh, <CTRL-L>- Event Log

Regards

Noel Torres
er Envite