[Nut-upsuser] 24V DC ATX PSU with limited UPS functionality over USB

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at freenet.de
Sat Mar 15 13:49:29 UTC 2008

Hello Charles,

Am 2008-03-13 16:25:30, schrieb Charles Lepple:
> [this is probably more of a nut-upsdev thread, but I'll let you switch
> it if you decide to go down this road.]

Hmmm, maybe I will subscribe to <nut-upsdev> too...  since it seems to
be very interesting.

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle at freenet.de> wrote:
> NUT currently supports two fairly generic standards, SNMP and USB
> HID/PDC (in addition to a wide variety of proprietary protocols). The
> DS80C411 seems to support Ethernet, so SNMP might be an option. (Don't
> be fooled by how complex the host-side SNMP code is - SNMP is meant to
> be easy to implement on the embedded-device side, if you are serving
> up a static dataset.)

But there is a problem since where can I get the Ethernet interface?
Most mainboards have only one which is needed for the network...

And of course, currently I am testing several Microcontrollers and
looking for a smaller and cheaper one without Ethernet support.

An ARM5 would be interesting but can I get it running with Linux?
(I am developing under Debian)

> You also mentioned USB above. If you go the USB route, and design a
> HID PDC (power device class) interface, it should be fairly simple to
> add support to the usbhid-ups module in NUT. It might also even work
> in other OSes.

This is what I am thinking about, since it should be realy OS independant.
Currently I am reading into USB-Device Controllers from Philips/NXP where
some have the functions I need including an I²C bus for an externel serial
EEPROM for the Device identification...

But I have no experience whti HID PDC and I am looking for informations
about it.  Any sugegstions or ideas?

> One thing that we currently don't do much with in NUT is deal with
> historical data - mostly because there are very few UPSes out there
> that return anything other than current status. You can, of course,

OK, this minght be for the future...

> log things external to NUT by querying it through the TCP client
> interface, and many people have stored the data in systems such as
> rrdtool or MRTG.

The Internal memory should only memorize the last 10 seconds or something
like this (like a blackbox in the airplanes) in case of shortcuts or
OverVoltageShutdowns...  Maybe I need a seperate App, which then read the
e.g. "Last-10-Second-Status".

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)