[Nut-upsuser] NUT behaviour when master system fails

Jon Clark jon.clark at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 11:23:51 UTC 2008

Arjen,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have looked at the logs of the
recent changes submitted through SVN and found this one:

++++ Begin SVN log entry

Handle all communications with the server through
upscli_sendline/readline and use of select() to prevent blocking on I/O
calls when the server is not responding (while still allowing it a
couple of seconds to reply).

The above fixes a bug with upsmon ignoring DEADTIME when the connection
to the server is lost. Since we're using blocking I/O here, a read()
from the server would stall upsmon. Since we can't change to
non-blocking I/O (after writing a command to the server, the client
immediately reads a reply), the only option left is to use select(). We
do that now for all communication with the server.

++++ End SVN log entry

This describes our problem and an implemented solution (the solution
that I would have suggested as well!).  My thanks go to all those who
continue to improve the NUT software.

Regards,
Jon

--