[Nut-upsuser] Unsupported UPS using megatec_usb

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Thu May 8 01:38:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, 07 May 2008 02:29:11 +0400, Jamie Thompson <lists.nut-upsuser at jamie-thompson.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
> Damn thing is sitting here beeping at me while I wait for it to discharge and I'm just trying to get upscmd working so I can turn the beep off :(
> It also seems that the only way I can communicate with it is via megatec_usb -a plexus -u root
>
> ...anything else and I get:
>> tester:/usr/local/ups# ./bin/megatec_usb -a plexus -DDDD -u nut
>> Network UPS Tools 2.2.2-pre3 - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.13 [megatec_usb]
[snip]

This is probably because udev rules did not got in place on your test machine,
while on your server they are a part of the deb package
(/etc/udev/rules.d/52_nut-usbups.rules).

> I've tried side-stepping the issue by chown'ing and chmod'ing /dev/usb/hiddev0 to nut:nut & 777, to no avail. The above logs are from the binaries I
> built, but I get the same from the distro binaries.

This is expected because megatec_usb doesn't use /dev/usb/hiddev0 :)
It should be something like /dev/bus/usb/<bus>/<device>.
Btw, port variable from ups.conf is ignored so leaving 'auto' is ok.

--
  Alexander