[Nut-upsuser] Megatec_USB on OpenBSD 4.3 - again...

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:12:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:19 AM,  <ng-sup01 at mclink.it> wrote:
> OK, here's what happened: since I'm a total n00b at USB, I was stuck
> when megatec_usb couldn't find the device. Your advice of running with
> USB_DEBUG did the trick.
>
> The first time I ran the driver, I noticed it complained about the
> permissions on /dev/usb*. I was concentrating on /dev/ugen*, while it
> was actually /dev/usb0 that the UPS managed to attach. So, it was just a
> matter of setting the permissions appropriately.

Glad it worked!

I think it needs /dev/usb0 to scan that particular USB controller (the
bus), and then it uses /dev/ugen0 to talk to that device specifically.
Nestled in the debug output is this device ID: "/dev/usb0//dev/ugen0"
which seems to support that conclusion.

Looks like some more things we need to document for *BSD. Thanks for
bearing with us!

--
- Charles Lepple