[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite SMX1500XLRT2U through serial

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 04:05:11 UTC 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:55 AM, Roman Serbski wrote:

> Hello list-
>
> Anyone with Tripplite SMX1500XLRT2U
> (http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=2687)
> successfully integrated with NUT through serial port? I'm trying to
> connect to SMX1500XLRT2U using serial cable shipped with UPS under
> FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE and NUT 2.2.2 installed from ports. Unfortunately,
> it looks like it couldn't be recognized.
[...]

> I played with different NUT drivers (including genericups) to no
> available.
>
> Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Can you try the USB port? The 2U models switched from the proprietary
Tripp-Lite signaling (use the tripplite_usb driver) to HID PDC (use
the usbhid-ups driver) at some point, but I don't know how well the
usbhid-ups driver has been tested on *BSD.

If that doesn't work, you can try echoing an identification command
to the serial port, and see what it returns (untested):

$ stty -f /dev/cuad0 raw
$ echo -ne ':\000\377\015' > /dev/cuad0
$ hd < /dev/cuad0

Let me know if you get any errors with this, or if it plain doesn't
work - I don't have a serial UPS to verify this sequence of commands.

There was talk of consolidating the USB and serial Tripp Lite
drivers, and if/when that happens, there's a better chance that we
can support odd models.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail