[Nut-upsuser] [Nut-upsdev] Megatec_USB on OpenBSD 4.3 - no input interrupt endpoint

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:20:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM, ng-sup01 <ng-sup01 at mclink.it> wrote:
> Arjen wrote:
>> PS  This question would have been more appropriate on the nut-upsusers
>> list.
> Posted here because I remember seeing prior messages concerning same UPS
> that were moved from upsusers to upsdev: but I'm new, and might be very
> wrong. Please tell me what to do ;)

Message threads about using NUT are usually moved from upsusers to
upsdev when they start talking about changing the drivers. The idea is
that someone who just uses NUT without hacking the code would only
have to read nut-upsuser.

> Henning Brauer wrote:
>
>  > * ng-sup01 <ng-sup01 at mclink.it> [2008-09-12 12:24]:
>
>> > uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "UIS_ABLER USB to
>> > Serial" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 2
>> that's the problem, uhiddev must not claim the device and leave it to
>> ugen.
>
>   But the same version of NUT (2.2.2), compiled on an Ubuntu machine, works fine, while on OpenBSD I get this problem. Is this possible?

The USB support in the Linux kernel used by Ubuntu is very different
from the USB support in *BSD.

Specifically, the Linux kernel no longer requires "quirks" entries to
be compiled in the way *BSD does (what Henning was describing). As
long as you have set the permissions through udev in Linux, the NUT
drivers can claim the UPS away from the kernel driver. In *BSD, you
need to tell the usbhid kernel driver not to attach to the UPS (since
libusb only works with ugen* device nodes).

--
- Charles Lepple