[Nut-upsuser] Access to internal UPS logs?

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Wed Sep 17 03:22:51 UTC 2008

Do any known UPS's keep internal logs of events? I am currently using a
slightly modified version if usbhid-ups to talk to a HP T/R2200 G2,
which is internally a TrippLite UPS.

The UPS is randomly turning off its output power, at intervals of once
every week or two, even though during this failure it reports that input
and output voltages are still around 248V (240V is nominal). The only
recourse is to reboot the UPS.

HP are sending a replacement unit as AFAICT it reports that everything
is otherwise okay and so is obviously broken, but if there were some
internal logs somewhere it would be useful to get access to them.

This failure mode occurred the first time before any USB or serial
cables were connected so I don't believe the failure is related to the
(very alpha) nut ups driver I am using. After the first time I plugged
one of the server PSU's into the mains, bypassing the UPS, so that it
wouldn't down the server in the event of failure, and no messages were
logged and the UPS continues reporting status (being graphed via mrtg).

Thanks

James