[Nut-upsuser] Access to internal UPS logs?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Sep 17 07:07:36 UTC 2008

Citeren "James Harper" <james.harper at bendigoit.com.au>:

> Do any known UPS's keep internal logs of events? I am currently using a
> slightly modified version if usbhid-ups to talk to a HP T/R2200 G2,
> which is internally a TrippLite UPS.

MGE has a range of UPSes that can optionally be equipped with a
Network Management Card (even my Evolution 650 is fitted with one).
Besides offering remote monitoring through a build in HTTP server, it
also reports events to a couple of log files.

> The UPS is randomly turning off its output power, at intervals of once
> every week or two, even though during this failure it reports that input
> and output voltages are still around 248V (240V is nominal). The only
> recourse is to reboot the UPS.

First course of action, is to check the age of the batteries. Chances
are that the UPS starts a quick battery test every two weeks
(automatically), which is failing so quickly (immediately) that the
UPS shuts down. This shouldn't happen, but we've seen this before on
very old batteries that fail under load instantly. In that case, there
may not be enough time to switch back on the AC mains and report a
battery fault and instead the UPS shuts down.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands