[Nut-upsuser] Network connection issue with NUT - result of netstat

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 20:39:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
> Citeren tarbeite <tarbeite at fit.edu>:
>
>> Here is the last section of the syslogs when I tried to connect to the nut
>> server.
>>
>> Sep 22 05:07:09 linux-s0mr upsd[2099]: Rejecting TCP connection from
>> client's ip
>> Sep 22 05:07:21 linux-s0mr upsd[2099]: Rejecting TCP connection from
>> client's ip
>> Sep 22 05:07:21 linux-s0mr upsd[2099]: Rejecting TCP connection from
>> client's ip.
>
> You either didn't configure the ACLs in 'upsd.conf' and/or missed
> setting up the proper 'allowfrom' for the user connecting to the
> server in 'upsd.users'. See the comments in the configuration files
> and/or the man pages on how to set this up.

Be mindful of the order of the allow and deny statements.

>> When doing a netstat -ln I did not see anything from port 3943 listed.
>
> The NUT port is 3493, so that makes sense.

My fault, I mistyped it.

The official /etc/services entry:

nut             3493/tcp    # Network UPS Tools

It should be listed, but maybe netstat is truncating it (this
sometimes happens with the longer IPv6 addresses).

It's a moot point, though - the port is open, or else upsd would not
be logging the error messages. See Arjen's comments.

--
- Charles Lepple