[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower OR2200

Svein Skogen (listmail account) svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Mon Aug 10 02:08:16 UTC 2009

Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:11 PM, James Erickson wrote:
>
>> yes they have "powerpanel for linux" available here:
>>
>> http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/browse-by-category/smart-app-ups/rackmount-lcd/OR2200LCDRM2U.html?selectedTabId=downloads&imageI=#tab-box
>>

>> but i wanted to use NUT as it is in portage and is open source. Thanks!
>
> Many of the drivers in NUT have been developed by observing how the
> manufacturer-provided software interacts with the UPS.
>
> It looks like there is a 'powerpanel' driver in NUT (doesn't seem to
> depend on the CyberPower software), but I think it is serial-only at the
> moment.

I'm not that familiar with linux device naming, but does it show up as a
serial(tty) device, or a hid one?

If it shows up as a hid device but uses a serial protocol, maybe we need
to rethink a few details on how nut communicates with the UPSes?

Since it seems the manufacturers are quite adept at re-inventing wheels
with odd shapes, maybe we need to split up things in protocol and
interface blocks, i.e.

<hardware>
  <devicetypewrapper>
    <protocol>
      nut
    </protocol>
  </devicetypewrapper>
</hardware>

This way we may be able to quirk in new devices by mapping a protocol to
the device wrapper?

If my reading-skills are somewhat sane, the usb-hid-ups driver basically
behaves this way already and contains several subdrivers. To me this
looks like the way forward.

Splitting it this way would make handling OS changes (and porting to
OSes) easier as well, since the internal protocol part can remain intact...

Just my €0.02 on the thing.

//Svein
- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein at d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein at jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein at stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail at stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein at jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile at stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/