[Nut-upsuser] Megatec driver floods logs #2 & mail notifications

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Dec 28 13:29:30 UTC 2009

Citeren "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury op shurup.com>:

> 1) I want it to notify me by email on power loss and power back events.
> I can't find any sample scripts for this purpose... Where shall I look
> for them?

Use 'upssched' and configure it to send a message through 'mailx' or
something like that after the power is lost and when it returns. There
are some examples in the manual pages and documentation.

> 2) So far, I've backported the package from Fedora and got my Ablerex
> running (previously used with Upsilon / Megatec on a Windows server).
>
> The major problem so far is that it keeps flooding my logs just as
> someone reported last year:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/nut-upsuser@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg03762.html
>
> Is there a way to somehow mute these messages?

Try the 'blazer_usb' driver instead, although this might not
(completely) solve this problem. It will give us at least far better
debugging capabilities, to see where the problem originates.

The root cause of this problem is that originally the hardware of your
UPS was designed for a serial interface. The USB interface was added
later on. This could have been done much better through a true USB to
serial converter, but the manufacturer choose to use an awkward
(cheap?) implementation that works by querying for input reports only.
It will never be a reliable solution, since it lacks all methods of
flow control.

If the device also has a serial interface, you'll undoubtly get much
better results to use an external USB to serial converter (that is
supported by the kernel) and use the 'blazer_ser' or 'megatec' drivers
instead.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list