[Nut-upsuser] Old thread on belkin

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:00:29 UTC 2009

On Monday 28 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>> Just starting it with the fedora service command gets this:
>> [root at coyote rules.d]# service ups start
>> /etc/sysconfig/ups: line 4: UPSD_OPTIONS: command not found
>> Starting UPS driver controller:                            [FAILED]
>> Starting upsd:                                             [FAILED]
>> Starting UPS monitor (master):                             [FAILED]
>>
>> UPSD_OPTIONS is empty in /etc/sysconfig/ups
>
>We've have issues with the Fedora (and RedHat) scripts before. NUT
>doesn't use /etc/sysconfig/ups, this is something that your distro
>added.
Nuked.

>Chances are that this was written for an earlier version of NUT
>and since never changed. It's not needed either, since all information
>needed to startup the drivers, server and clients is in the NUT
>configuration files already. Could you try if running
>
>     /path/to/upsdrvctl start

As root, permission for /var/run/nut denied. chowned it gene:gene, get this:
[root at coyote ups]# su gene -c "upsdrvctl start"
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

No idea if that's an earlier or later message. No mesg in log for either.

>     /path/to/upsd
>     /path/to/upsmon
>
>improves the situation?
>
>For debugging purposes you shouldn't use the startup scripts from
>*any* distribution, because they will invariably direct the startup
>messages to /dev/null (it might already tell you what's wrong now).

I took the /dev/null junk out of the /etc/init.d/ups (start) section for the
next attempts.

>This is the STATEPATH directory (which is compiled in) and should be
>writeable by the user 'upsd' is running as. It almost certainly isn't.

How does one determine what user its trying to run at?

A service ups start (as root) got me this on screen
[root at coyote ups]# service ups start
Starting UPS monitor (slave):                              [  OK  ]

And a bunch of error popups because it couldn't talk to myups at localhost
And this in the log:
Dec 28 09:48:03 coyote upsmon[25030]: UPS [myups at localhost]: connect failed:
Connection failure: Connection refused

Repeated till I stop upsmon, same if I address it as myups at FQDN.

So I chmod-ed /var/run/nut to 0777 which should let anybody write the SOB.

[root at coyote ups]# su gene -c "upsdrvctl start"
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
[root at coyote ups]# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

Using subdriver: Belkin HID 0.11
Can't initialize data from HID UPS
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
[root at coyote ups]#

This headache is approaching the excedrin numbering system.
>Best regards, Arjen

Thanks Arjen.  I'll do an strace on it once the morning coffee has kicked in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

New Hampshire law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in
any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.