[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 21:29:14 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>> Ping?
>
>I didn't comment to that message (for exactly the reasons in the
>subject field) and you seemed to be in the process of figuring stuff
>out yourself (which we prefer, since then people actually learn,
>instead of us developers telling them how to do things).

Which I would rather do too, as its remembered better even at my age.
>But
>apparently you've hit a brick wall in the process.
>
>Please post the present status of the
>
>1) usbhid-ups (driver)
[root at coyote pix]# usbhid-ups -a myups
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

Using subdriver: Belkin HID 0.11
Can't initialize data from HID UPS

>2) if 1) is running, the upsd (server)
not running
>3) if 2) is running, the upsmon (client)
if started, will flood the screen with comm lost advisories about every 10
seconds till killed.

>They all need to be up and running in this order. It's a waste of
>effort to try to run the upsd server, if the driver isn't running
>properly. So the first you need to do is make sure you have a running
>driver.
>
>The line
>
>     /path/to/usbhid-ups -DDD -a yourups
>
>should result in a continuous flow of information. Dump the output of
>the first 60 seconds in a logfile, gzip it and attach the result to a
>message.

Done.

>It might also help to upgrade to a more recent version of NUT (2.4.1),
>since the version you're running now (2.2.2) seems to be quite outdated.

Just pulled the 2.4.1 tarball, fedora 10 is EOL'd & 2.2.2 is it in rpms, and
even rpmfind was helpless.  I'll put it in before I screw with this again.

>Best regards, Arjen
>
>PS  Don't post strace output, since unless you know exactly what
>you're looking for, it will just wastes bandwidth. The right amount of
>-D options is easier on our eyes.

I have to agree, one can go plumb cross-eyed looking for the original error
line in a 10,000 line output.  I'm not sure if at that time I had managed to
find a manpage describing the -D option, which, at least for the fedora
version, does not descend into the exec line of a subdriver, thereby losing
the data you really wanted.  There really does need to be a man or info page
for nut, even if its just a listing of the pieces.  That would be a lot of
help for the 'first timers'. :)

Thanks Arjen.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A list is only as strong as its weakest link.
		-- Don Knuth