[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups disconnects with Eaton Ellipse 1000S

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Dec 31 12:20:42 UTC 2009

Citeren Marc Franquesa <mark op l3jane.net>:

> My UPS is a Eaton Ellipse 1000S (But its identified as MGE Ellipse
> 0463:ffff).

That's because part of the company MGE that originally acquired the
vendorid 0463 is now owned by Eaton. They still use the 'old' vendorid
for the .

> I have been using the usb interface with the usbhid-ups driver, but I
> found that sometimes (too much times) the driver doesn't respond and NUT
> doesn't receive changes nor notifications from the UPS.

This is a known problem with the Ellipse series UPS. Eaton send me one
for testing and it has the same problem as what you describe. I'm
trying to work around the problem, but so far without success. Note
that for instance an MGE Evolution that is running in parallel to this
system hardly ever sees a glitch, so this pretty much rules out
problems with kernel, libusb and/or usbhid-ups.

> Now I'm using the serial interface with the mge-shut driver.
> (without problems for Now). I discarded USB problem because I have a
> USB Drive attached to the same bus without any problem.

If you upgrade to nut-2.4.1, you could try adding the 'pollonly' flag
to 'ups.conf' entry for this UPS. The problems seem to be related to
the use of the interrupt pipe on this UPS. If that doesn't work, I
would also recommend to use the serial interface with the Ellipse
series (even if this would require a USB to serial converter).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list