[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Lars Täuber taeuber at bbaw.de
Fri Feb 6 13:47:57 UTC 2009

Hallo Arjen,

Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> schrieb:
> Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>
> Basically, this needs to be dealt with in the client application.
> Since we don't provide Windows clients (which Lars apparently is
> using), I have no idea if this is possible with those.

yes, we have a mixed enviroment with mostly Linux boxes but also some Windows and MacOS servers.

>      FINALDELAY 0 (for the clients)
>      FINALDELAY X (for the SQL servers)
>      FINALDELAY X+Y (for the NFS servers)
>
> The values of X and Y depend on how long the clients need for
> finishing their business with the SQL servers (X) and how long the SQL
> servers needs for doing their thing on the NFS servers (Y).

This seems dangerous to me. Just think of the following situation:

The ups has a normally 60 minutes of time left before shutdown after power loss.
In this case I would use 40 mins for X and 5 mins for Y.

Lets assume a power outage of 38 min has happend before it power gets back. The servers still run and the shutdown sequences get canceled. The batteries now can bridge only 22 mins on a second outage. This would lead to an unexpected shutoff for those servers.
The battery charge status has to get into account additionally to manage such situations.

Thanks anyway
Lars