[Nut-upsuser] ordered shutdown

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Tue Feb 10 16:12:52 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:

[waking up from shutdown before battery exhaustion]
> With whatever strategy you use, you need to be able to send some kind
> of command (power on, WOL magic, whatever) at the right time.

Yeah, but I can't see any real difficulty. What does NOTIFTCMD stand
for? Maybe the server (if client aware) could let the user choose some
more options or predefined actions, shouldn't be difficult to implement.
I can't see why this solution is worse than having to deal with upssched
and its script, which I consider much a dirty hack.

> Shutting
> down is 'easy' when there is one point in time where you can decide to
> shutdown whatever is connected (what we have now) possibly with some
> kind of sequencing and then power cycle the UPS. What people are
> asking now, is to have multiple decision moments

Exactely

> and for each one you
> must guarantee that you're able to return to the normal state with as
> little impact on other systems.

This would be useful too, but I would be happy enough just having
different shutdown moments based on timer|charge|runtime as apcupsd and
MGE's psp[1] do natively (and as it should be)!
Maybe there is a person in front of the computer you powered down, that
can switch it on. Why not to let the people choose the strategy they prefer?

> In that case, put these scripts on a network drive. They don't have to
> live in /etc/ups (or whatever is compiled in).

Obviously you can do it, but it's not a much better solution. Having to
set up a file server to accomplish what, in my opinion, NUT should do
natively it's certainly not a solution.

To sum up, in priority order:
1) different shutdown criteria
2) different shutdown time points
3) automatic restart management / automatic programmable outlet power on

The third is not required for implementing points 1 and 2. The first one
is absolutely the most important and already present in any UPS tool
I've seen.

Beyond these requests, I believe a better design is required to address
some other needs, discussed in the previous mails, but I know that it is
something that, first of all, you should feel it's right, and it's not
always possible to modify a project. However I like to discuss about
these ideas.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Marco Chiappero

[1] Yes, a normal user can choose pointing and clicking, while upssched
is considered a complicated option for nerds.