[Nut-upsuser] Build issue with 2.4.0

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:28:15 UTC 2009

Hey Alexey,

I just realized that you sent this mail privately!

2009/2/5 Alexey Rytchkov <lilo0 at nm.ru>

> Hi,
>
> It seems /make clean/ do extra work when it removes scripts/hal/
> ups-nut-device.fdi.in and scripts/udev/nut-usbups.rules.in.
> Configure fails not finding this files.
> Your can reproduce that by
> /    configure
>   make clean
>   configure/
>
> Just to be sure nobody missed that.

yup, I've faced it when updating debs...
that reminds me that my mail announcing that is still in my draft box.

well, following the 2.4.0 release, and some Debian packaging update, I've
uncovered the major issue you've mentioned. I'll explain the thing here
since it's an issue that I thought was addressed...

the current make rules for the USB files are bad.
these generated files shouldn't be part of MOSTLYCLEANFILES, nor any
*CLEANFILES target.
the thing is that when we generate these files, we overwrite existing ones.
so we have to address more finely the issue and the following cases:
./configure && make clean && ./configure
./configure && make distclean && ./configure
make distcheck

for the 2 first, we have nothing to do (thus we don't list these files in
*CLEANFILES).
for the latter, we have to clean these 3 remaining files.
for that, we need to use distcleancheck_listfiles, ie:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Dist.html#Dist
see §14.4

I've just commited that to the trunk, and it will be part of 2.4.1 (out by
next monday)

thanks again Alexey.

cheers,
Arnaud