[Nut-upsuser] early shutdown of VMware VMs

Doug Parsons doug at parsonsemail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:07:24 UTC 2009

>Thanks, Doug. I'm newly on VMWare Server 2, which has different tools
>than the 1.x ones I'm familiar with. AFAIK the 1.x tools did not have
>any sort of UPS or shutdown awareness capability; I'll need to check
>whether that's true with 2.x.
>
>dn

Unfortunately Server is the only version that I don't have running anymore.
But as Arjen noted most versions can handle the guest shutdown natively. One
catch is that this extends the shutdown and startup times quite a bit and so
the battery level at which you start the shutdown would need to be higher.
Another catch I believe is that the guest must be running the VMWare tools.
If VMWare Server can't do it (check under the advanced tab) then you may
want to consider VMWare 3i as it can and is also free. Hit the VMWare forums
as they should be able to fill in all the details.

Doug