[Nut-upsuser] Poll UPS / Driver not connected with UPS MGE Evolution 850VA USB

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 18:38:02 UTC 2009

bonsoir Vianney,

2009/3/1 Vianney Lejeune <via.lej at free.fr>

> Hello,
>
>        I encounter a problem using the UPS MGE Evolution 850 VA USB with
> Debian Etch and the nut package available for this version. I got this
> error:

hey, Lenny is out. come on! ;-p

> ==syslog==
> Can't connect to UPS [MGE850VA] (usbhid-ups-auto): No such file or
> directory
> upsd[2767]: Startup successful
> upsmon[2769]: Startup successful
> upsd[2767]: Connection from 127.0.0.1
> upsd[2767]: Client MGE at 127.0.0.1 logged into UPS [MGE850VA]
> upsmon[2770]: Poll UPS [MGE850VA at localhost] failed - Driver not
> connected
> upsmon[2770]: Communications with UPS MGE850VA at localhost lost
>

> What did I miss ?
>

> This is my conf file:
>
> ==ups.conf==
> [MGE850VA]
>         driver = usbhid-ups
>         port = auto
>
> ==upsd.conf==
> ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
> ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
>
> ACCEPT localhost
> REJECT all
>
> ==upsd.users==
> #Supervision user
> [admin]
>         password = ***
>         allowfrom = localhost
>         actions = SET
>         instcmds = ALL
>
> #Protection User
> [MGE]
>         password = ***
>         allowfrom = localhost
>         upsmon master
>
> ==upssched.conf==
> MDSCRIPT /usr/bin/upssched-cmd

typo error?
=> *C*MDSCRIPT

> ==upsmon.conf==
> RUN_AS_USER nut
> MONITOR MGE850VA at localhost 1 MGE *** master
> MINSUPPLIES 1
> SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
> POLLFREQ 5
> POLLFREQALERT 5
> HOSTSYNC 15
> DEADTIME 15
> POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> RBWARNTIME 43200
> NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> FINALDELAY 5

you have perhaps missed that one (not mentioned nor the way you started the
components!):
==  /etc/default/nut ==
START_UPSD=yes
START_UPSMON=yes

have a look at /usr/share/doc/nut/README.Debian for more info.
also note that I've completely changed this (ie removed this file) from the
latest release in Sid (and Jaunty) 2.4.1-2: it has been replaced by the new
nut.conf file, shipped with NUT (as of 2.4.0)

otherwise, check your device (ie if lsusb give Bus:Dev 001:001, then "ls -l
/dev/bus/usb/001/001).
it should be root:nut

starting the driver in debug mode might help too: /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -DDD
-a MGE850VA

cheers,
Arnaud
--