[Nut-upsuser] "Master privileges unavailable on UPS" after upgrade to Debian Lenny

David Smith lists at nobodynet.net
Sat Mar 7 00:46:02 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've just upgraded my debian box from etch to lenny, and am now having
Nut problems.  I have read through the UPGRADING text (which helped
fixed my first ups driver related problem), but have now hit another
problem, which seems quite common, but non of the responses I've found
on Google apply, so I'm coming to you for help.

On issuing a "/etc/init.d/nut start" I get the following in my syslog:

Mar  7 00:27:19 copstick3 upsd[26316]: Connection from 127.0.1.1
Mar  7 00:27:19 copstick3 upsd[26316]: Client monuser at 127.0.1.1 logged
into UPS [copstick_ups]
Mar  7 00:27:19 copstick3 upsmon[26319]: Master privileges unavailable
on UPS [copstick_ups at copstick3]
Mar  7 00:27:19 copstick3 upsmon[26319]: Response: [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

Also, the following:
# upsc -L copstick3
copstick_ups: Unavailable

Google suggests that the common cause for this is not having a 'upsmon
master' in my upsd.users file, but I've checked that.  I'm now just
going round in circles, and so would really appreciate any suggestions.

My config files (passwords altered) as as follows (the ups is on a
machine called 'copstick3.nobody with an ip of 10.9.2.9):

hosts.conf
##########
MONITOR copstick_ups at copstick3 "Copstick APC"

ups.conf
########
  [copstick_ups]
         driver = usbhid-ups
         port = /dev/usb/hiddev0

upsd.conf
#########
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
ACL localhost2 127.0.1.1/32
ACL nobodynet 10.9.2.0/24
#ACCEPT all
ACCEPT localhost
ACCEPT nobodynet
ACCEPT localhost2
REJECT all

upsd.users
##########
[admin]
	password = blarblarblarblar
	allowfrom = localhost
	actions = SET
	instcmds = ALL
[monuser]
	password  = blarblar
	allowfrom = localhost
	actions = SET
	instcmds = ALL
	upsmon master

upsmon.conf
###########
RUN_AS_USER nut
MONITOR copstick_ups at copstick3 1 monuser blarblar master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +0"
NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/scripts/upsshout
POLLFREQ 60
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 15
DEADTIME 180
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
NOTIFYMSG ONLINE "%s is back on mains power"
NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYMSG ONBATT "%s is on battery power"
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYMSG LOWBATT "%s battery is critical"
NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYMSG COMMOK "I have re-established comms with %s"
NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK SYSLOG+WALL
NOTIFYMSG COMMBAD "I have lost comms with %s"
NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD SYSLOG+WALL
NOTIFYMSG SHUTDOWN "System being shutdown by the UPS monitor"
NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
NOTIFYMSG REPLBATT "%s UPS battery is bad and needs replacing"
NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT SYSLOG+WALL+EXEC
RBWARNTIME 43200
NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
FINALDELAY 2

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
--Dave
--
  David Smith