[Nut-upsuser] Cabac UPS-1700DV2

mick mickhowe at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 3 02:57:23 UTC 2009

http://webshop.cabac.com.au/webshop(bD1lbiZjPTUwMA==)/public/catalogue/defa

> [...]
>
> do I need to do something to get the USB subsystem to grab the UPS
> interface unit?
> here is an excerpt from /var/log/dmesg :
>  usb 4-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0001, idProduct=0000
>  usb 4-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
>  usb 4-1.1: Product: STD UPS MON V1.0
> usb 4-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> generic-usb 0003:0001:0000.0002: hiddev96,hidraw1: USB HID v1.00 Device
> [STD UPS MON V1.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.3-1.1/input0
>
> and the output from lsusb -vs 004:004:
> Bus 004 Device 004: ID 0001:0000 Fry's Electronics
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0         8
>   idVendor           0x0001 Fry's Electronics
>   idProduct          0x0000
>   bcdDevice            1.00
>   iManufacturer           1
>   iProduct                2 STD UPS MON V1.0
>   iSerial                 0
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength           34
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0x80
>       (Bus Powered)
>     MaxPower              100mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
>       iInterface              0
>         HID Device Descriptor:
>           bLength                 9
>           bDescriptorType        33
>           bcdHID               1.00
>           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
>           bNumDescriptors         1
>           bDescriptorType        34 Report
>           wDescriptorLength     624
>          Report Descriptors:
>            ** UNAVAILABLE **
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
>         bInterval              10
> Device Status:     0x0000
>   (Bus Powered)
>
> /etc/nut/ups.conf
> [ups1700dv2]
> 	driver = megatec_usb
> 	port = auto
>
> for what its worth, I'm using kubuntu 8.04 with a custom 2.6.29.1 kernel

Is there a clear, complete how-to describing setting up Nut that doesn't
assume preliminary parts of the job have already been completed, eg.:
do this to get USB recognised and claimed
do that to get nuts to connect to the device
configure upsd
configure ups-mond

I'm sure I've missed something vital that is obvious to those familiar with
nuts.

mick