[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Fri May 8 12:19:54 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I use an APC Back-UPS RS 800, overall my experience with NUT is very
good but there is one feature I am missing: the ability to ask the UPS
for a battery test. upscmd -l shows the following commands available:

$ upscmd -l rs800
Instant commands supported on UPS [rs800]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.panel.start - Start testing the UPS panel
test.panel.stop - Stop a UPS panel test
$

As you can see, it is possible to test the front panel, and that works
OK, but no test.battery.start/stop. I would like to know if other APC
Back-UPS RS users see the same problem. If the feature is missing from
the driver, I would like to know why, as well as offer my help to
implement it. I don't know the NUT code at all, but I can help with
testing.

I know the hardware supports it because the Windows software that APC
ships does implement it, and it worked OK last time I tried (several
months ago.)

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare