[Nut-upsuser] Cyberpower Value 600E UPS (USB) is not recognized by usbhid-ups under FreeBSD 7.2

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed May 20 07:53:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, forsite wrote:
> Have anybody tried Cyberpower Value 600E (USB) under FreeBSD?
> usbhid-ups from nut 2.4.1 does not recognize (find) the device on my
> machine.
> [root at substance /usr/local/libexec/nut]# dmesg | grep uhid
> uhid0: <CPS UPS VALUE, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2> on uhub0
>
> [root at substance /usr/local/libexec/nut]# ls -l /dev/uhid0
> crw-rw----  1 uucp  wheel    0,  79 18 May 20:51 /dev/uhid0
> Any ideas what could be wrong here?

As you found later, the problem is that the uhid driver grabs the UPS
but NUT needs ugen to get it before it can talk (unlike Linux libusb
can't kick the kernel driver off the device).

You can try not loading uhid as a work around and see if it works (it
should do, make sure you chmod /dev/ugenX* as required).

The actual fix is to add an entry in the blacklist for uhid devices
in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_quirks.c (around line 115) for the vendor/id
of your UPS. I think you also need to add an entry
to /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs for the UPS itself. That requires a
kernel rebuild BTW.

If you give me the output of 'usbdevs -v' I can whip up a quick patch.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum