[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart UPS 900i

Rene Bartsch ML at Bartschnet.de
Tue May 26 17:45:10 UTC 2009

> Hi Rene,
>
> 2009/5/25 Rene Bartsch <ML at bartschnet.de>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running an old APC Smart UPS 900i. As there isn't any software from APC
>> which supports this
>> UPS anymore, I've installed NUT (Gentoo Ebuilds), but version 2.0.5 and
>> version 2.2.2 loose
>> connection to the UPS while version 2.4.1 and SVN version don't show any
>> settings and there are no
>> instant commands.
>>
>> The only information I can get are:
>>
>> driver.name: apcsmart
>> driver.parameter.cable: 940-0024C
>> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
>> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyUSB0
>> driver.version: 2.4.1
>> driver.version.internal: 2.03
>> input.voltage: 226.9
>> ups.mfr: APC
>> ups.model: Smart-UPS
>> ups.serial: 00016325
>> ups.status: OL
>>

>> How can I use the UPS (battery test, configuration)?
>>

> can you elaborate more, and send us some more outputs (ie upsrw / upscmd),
> along with a driver debug trace (apcsmart -DDDDD -a ...). though I doubt the
> last will help us.
>
> another interesting test is to try NUT trunk, since I've recently commited
> some patch for apcsmart.
> for a procedure: http://www.networkupstools.org/source.html
> § Development tree: 2.5

I used the SVN trunk version from about 20 hours ago.

The upper output is from upsc, other commands:

The command "upscmd -l su900i at localhost" just returns
"Instant commands supported on UPS [su900i]:"

The command "upcmd -u admin -p <password> su900i at localhost test.panel.start" does not do or return
anything.

The command "upsrw -u admin -p <password> su900i at localhost" does not return anything.

The command "upsrw -s test.panel.start -u admin -p <password> su900i at localhost" returns
"Enter new value for test.panel.start:
Unexpected response from upsd: ERR VAR-NOT-SUPPORTED"

When I send an 'A' to the UPS with a quick-hacked-PHP-Script on the serial port (Prolific 2303 USB
adapter), the UPS correctly starts beeping.

How can I do the driver debug trace?

Cheers,

Renne