[Nut-upsuser] This guy must be an idiot

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri May 29 11:46:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:23:14AM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> > >        What am I missing? The S50nut symlink is in /etc/rc2.d, and both
> > > systems are at runlevel 2.  I set up the systems the very same way (as
> > far
> > > as I can remember or tell), except that one employs driver =
> > tripplite_usb
> > > in usb.conf and the other uses driver = usbhid-ups, plus the two have
> > > different backup names.  Otherwise, I think everything is the same.
> >
> > One thing you can do to catch any subtle differences is to tar up the
> > /etc/nut directory on one machine, then extract it into /tmp on the
> > other machine, and use 'diff -Naur /etc/nut /tmp/nut' or whatnot.
>
> Yeah, that was the first thing I did.  The machine name, UPS driver, and UPS
> name are different, of course, but everything else is identical.  The
> respective names and driver are correct (which we pretty much knew in the
> first place, because it wouldn't work at all otherwise).

Are you certain your nut startup script is even actually being run?
This sounds like for some reason the system's never trying to run the
script.  Why don't you modify the script to log a timestamp to a file in
/etc every time it gets run?

Are you certain the system's booting to the correct runlevel?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.