[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Wed Oct 7 12:40:10 UTC 2009

Hi Charles,

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:03:53 -0400, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > OK, I've given it a try, it is quite powerful, unfortunately I don't
> > know much about USB so I may not be using it in the best way.
> >
> > Anyway, I managed to capture some data and I hope it will help. I've
> > asked for HID decoding and URB decoding. The files are here:
> >
> > http://khali.linux-fr.org/files/nut/
> >
> > idle-*.htm files are captures when I didn't do anything. test-*.htm
> > files are captures when I triggered a battery test.
> >
> > I tried finding differences between the captures, and found that the
> > test capture had the following entries not present in the idle
> > capture:
>
> If I am interpreting this correctly, the software is sending a HID
> SetReport(0x16, 0x01) followed immediately by SetReport(0x16, 0x00).

Yes, this is how I read it as well.

>  From your previous email:

> Size: 8, Value: 6.000000
>
> You are correct that the Input is already mapped to ups.test.result,
> but it should be possible to specify that writing to UPS.Battery.Test
> will start a battery test. ("Feature" reports are writable as well as
> readable.)
>
> I am not sure how that would send the 0x01 then 0x00 with this driver,
> though - maybe Arnaud or Arjen can help with that part.

Arnaud, Arjen, anything else I can do to help? The USB sniffer I'm
using is a shareware and I have only 11 days of use left. If you need
more captures, or different decoding, or any additional data, please
let me know quickly.

Would it be difficult to implement what Charles described above and
test it?

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare