[Nut-upsuser] Battery test feature of APC Back-UPS RS series

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Oct 10 14:49:23 UTC 2009

Citeren Jean Delvare <khali op linux-fr.org>:

>> PS  Also, be advised that running deep discharge tests wear out your
>> battery, so you should only run these once every three to six months
>> (at most).
> Thanks for the hint. I didn't intend to use it again any time soon
> anyway. I presume it is essentially useful when you suspect that the
> battery needs to be replaced. Which I hope I won't have to do before 4
> years or so.

Usually, deep discharge (also known as 'runtime calibration') tests
are used to determine the health of the battery. Depending on battery
replacement policy, one would consider the battery has reached
end-of-life if the battery capacity has decreased to 50 to 80% of the
initial capacity (so you'd have to run them periodically to keep track
of the trend).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list