[Nut-upsuser] 2.6.31.4: Intel P55 Chipset BUG [usbhid-raw/devices/broken?] [tested 3 different UPS']

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Sat Oct 31 11:59:59 UTC 2009

Hello,

SUMMARY: P55 Chipset/USB has issues with UPS' (broken pipe on 3 diff UPS')
WORKAROUND: Buy/use PCI USB card if you want to use nut/connect a UPS.
NOTES: All other USB (non-UPS) devices seem to function without any
        problems.

--

Tried another APC 1500VA UPS, same problem occurs, different cable/port etc.

Problem appears to be the Intel P55KG / USB Chipset in the way that it
handles usbhid-raw devices as CD/USB sticks/kbd/mouse/etc do not appear to
be affected.

So far all other USB devices work fine, with the exception of UPS', I
have tested two APC 1500VA (one an RS the other an XS), in addition I also
have a 'BELKIN 1200VA UPS with AVR' from a long time ago, the same
problem occurs.

Results:

- 3 different UPS models (APC 1500VA RS/XS & Belkin 1200VA)
- 2 different manufacturers (APC/Belkin)
- no other USB devices have problems (tried usb sticks,read cd/dvd, etc)

Output from Belkin UPS test:

Full update...
Can't retrieve Report 7: Broken pipe
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got to reconnect!

Got 1 HID objects...
Full update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 1 HID objects...
Quick update...
Signal 2: exiting

BTW, other USB devices are OK, dd'd two USB sticks and a Knoppix DVD on a
USB CD/DVD burner with no USB errors/issues.

# dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/x/knoppix.iso
8685248+0 records in
8685248+0 records out
4446846976 bytes (4.4 GB) copied, 287.585 s, 15.5 MB/s

Given the prior problems with this board (noted at the top, reboot=a,
e1000e, etc)- is it possible that Intel needs to provide a BIOS update to
fix this or does the USB UHCI driver need an update due to a possible? quirk
in this chipset / usb chip?

I also tested nut-2.2.2 from Debian Stable and the same problem
occurred.

A bit frustrated, I popped in a PCI card with 4 external USBs, and now no
more errors:

Got 11 HID objects...
Quick update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 3 HID objects...
Quick update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 2 HID objects...
Full update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 3 HID objects...
Quick update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 2 HID objects...
Quick update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...
Got 3 HID objects...
Full update...
upsdrv_updateinfo...

07:01.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
07:01.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
07:01.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 63)

It now works fine, using the PCI USB card.

However, this P55 board has 12-14 USB ports, it would be nice to use them.

Justin.