[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower Value 2200E-GP

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Dec 16 09:05:46 UTC 2010

Citeren David Varley <davidavarley op gmail.com>:

> I've just set up a CyberPower Value 2200E-GP on a system running Lucid
> AMD64, with the current NUT package via apt-get, and it seems to be working
> fine for me with the usbhid-ups driver, so I guess it can go in the HCL?

Probably. We'll just need a little more information like the 'upsc'
output for this UPS (to see if we need to add additional mappings).

> I'm using the system to host several virtual servers under KVM, and to make
> things simple I set it up to hibernate rather than shutdown, that way all
> the guest OS don't have to be shutdown, they just carry on happily from
> where they were after power is restored. To achieve this I timed how long it
> take to go into hibernation (30-40 seconds), and set the UPS to shutdown
> after 60 seconds via the driver "offdelay" setting.
> I then set:
>
>     SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown;/usr/sbin/pm-hibernate"
>
> and under test it works well. I'm don't know if there is a better or "right"
> way to do this, obviously the heuristically determined off delay is a bit of
> a risk, and as the system doesn't actually shut down perhaps there will be
> other problems with NUT? The /etc/killpower flag isn't deleted, for
> instance.

Remember that the 'upsd' server will latch the FSD (forced shutdown)
flag when it has detected an "OB LB" condition. The only way to reset
this, is to restart NUT. Otherwise after resuming, NUT will
immediately shutdown again. Many systems will allow you to run scripts
when going into hibernation and after resuming. You'll want to stop
NUT when hibernating and restart it when resuming (this will take care
of the /etc/killpower flag as well). I'd prefer to run the 'upsdrvctl
shutdown' command from the hibernation script as well. Also remember
that there is a slight risk that if hibernation fails, the UPS will
power off anyway. If that worries you, it might be better to stick
with a full shutdown of the system.

> I've attached the output of  *usbhid-ups -DDD -a 2200LCD* as there seem to
> be several errors reported in there. I can see the subdriver doesn't find
> the serial number, for example, while the pwrstat code supplied by
> CyberPower does.

There are some issues with the usbhid-ups driver in nut-2.4.3. Most of
these have been resolved in the development version of NUT. I would be
grateful if you could try out this. Most (if not all) of the errors
you're seeing now should be fixed.

We could add some code to add reading the serial number, but we really
need it before claiming the device (which seems to be broken in either
your UPS or the version of libusb you're using).

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)