[Nut-upsuser] megatec and blazer drivers for (brand)Tuncmatik (series)Newtech Pro 1KVA

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Feb 8 09:48:59 UTC 2010

Citeren Said KÖKÇAM <skokcam op googlemail.com>:

>        I would like to report that Tuncmatik Newtech Pro 1 KVA
> (http://www.tuncmatik.com/en-US/productDetail.asp?RecID=290) works
> with nut(2.4.1) blazer_usb, blazer_ser and megatec drivers.

That's good to know. We'll add them to the list of supported devices.
Thanks for letting us know.

> 	Perhaps other models from this manufacturer may also work with these
> drivers. I attached a copy of upsc outputs of these drivers and output
> of an experimental modified megatec driver supporting more features of
> this UPS. I also attached explanation of extended megatec protocol
> this UPS use as far as i was able to analyze. (other UPS's from this
> manufacturer and other manufacturers might also be using this
> protocol). AFAIK currently there is no official nut driver supporting
> this protocol. I would be very happy if this information helps nut
> users and developement of nut. I would appreciate your comments.

Despite your efforts, I'm reluctant to add these changes to the
drivers. The reason is two-fold:

1) The added functionality doesn't seem to be vital for *monitoring*
of the UPS, but instead are things that may need configuration once
(and not changing on a regular basis).

2) The added functions are not core Megatec/Q1 protocol compliant.

The second part is what worries me most. There are numerous extensions
to the Megatec/Q1 protocol from various sources. Sadly, many vendors
(and Tuncmatic is no exception here) do this in a way that violates
the protocol (the ACK and NAK responses for instance).

Worse, some devices will not accept extended queries/commands and
instead will lock up solid if you try them. This means that adding
them for the benefit of Tuncmatic owners, may render these drivers
useless for others. I'm not convinced that the added value justifies
this risk.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list